Random thoughts from an animal-loving French prof / mom of three on things she finds beautiful, funny, sad, or strange.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

reset buttons

When my son is starting to lose it, he gets "stuck."  His speech actually sounds impaired, and I believe that his brain goes to a primal place where it is, in fact, stuck.  So, his therapist gave us a reset button:  he jumps on a mini-trampoline.   I am no neurologist and no psychologist, but there is something to this.  It actually does seem to reset his brain, just like that "magic" button or key sequence on electronic devices.  His facial expression changes- you can see it from across the room- and sometimes he even starts to shout with joy.  He shouts an awful lot, usually NOT with joy, so this is amazing to see.  Once that happens, we can ask him to do whatever it was that was making him melt down, and voilà, he's there with us, able to do anything.

The thing is, we all need reset buttons.  Sadly, though, many of us don't know what ours are, or we look for them in all the wrong places.  The United States is in one of its biggest crises ever because we were told we could cure what ails us by just buying more.  So we bought and bought but we never stopped to consider whether it was actually helping us to re-center, to reset.  We now know it wasn't.  I don't know that I got so much into the buying- college professors don't exactly roll in cash or qualify for tons of credit, though I have more of both than I need or deserve.  Even so, I managed to lose touch with myself.  Now, I can say that I have found my reset buttons.  Sometimes it's a cup of coffee on the porch soaking in the beauty of my back yard.  Sometimes it's a brisk walk with my dog.  Sometimes it's talking with a friend and not worrying about the time or what work awaits me next.  These things sound simple;  they are. And they have the added advantage of alleviating anger and frustration, unlike hitting ctrl-alt-del on the computer...

2 comments:

  1. Walks with your dog to tend to the brisk side...

    I'm partial to a quick whirl on the piano. Pity you don't have better access to one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is that about my dog. But once she wears me out, then I am good and mellow and "re-set!"

    Piano would do me more good than probably anything I've mentioned. Sadly, they are not very portable or right now, affordable...

    ReplyDelete