Random thoughts from an animal-loving French prof / mom of three on things she finds beautiful, funny, sad, or strange.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

"April"

As I've written before, as a child, teen, and even into grad school, I didn't think I liked poetry. Turns out I was wrong. I actually read poems for fun and am lucky enough to count several talented poets among my friends.  Therefore, in addition to the black cat's other musings, I have decided to make at least one post per week in honor of National Poetry Month.

What better way to start than with a poem about this month where finally, we start to thaw (well, except back home in NY, but that's a post for another day...). The poet, Mary Oliver, has been on the blog before. I love the way she brings the seemingly small details of life into crystal clarity. As I've also said before, this is an artist who truly sees, and who is teaching me to do the same.

April

                                        I wanted to speak at length about
                                        the happiness of my body and the
                                        delight of my mind for it was
                                        April, night, a
                                        full moon and ––

                                        but something in myself or maybe
                                        from somewhere other said: not too
                                        many words, please, in the
                                        muddy shallows the

                                        frogs are singing.



No comments:

Post a Comment